Harissa, a story of love, tradition… and taste
Harissa is a chili paste that is often used to add a distinct, spicy flavor to most Tunisian dishes. More than just a simple condiment, Harissa has been a food staple in all Tunisian cuisine since the dawn of time.
In the last decade, Tunisian Harissa has gained more popularity around the world because of its unique spice and flavor. For the past two years, a chili pepper and Harissa Festival has taken place in the city of Nabeul. People come from all over the world to attend the three day festival to learn how this unique condiment is made and how to incorporate it into their everyday cooking. Tunisian chefs also prepare native dishes made with Harissa like Sakshuka, which is a healthy and simple dish made with tomatoes, eggs, peppers, and of course, Harissa.
Classic Harissa is made with mashed smoked peppers, garlic, olive oil, cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds. The recipe might differ from one region to another depending on which items are available, which items are more difficult to come by, and also by what different cultural influences they may have.
BNC has three types of handcrafted Harissa: Harissa, Traditional Harissa and Berber Harissa. The Berber Harissa is almost the same as the Traditional version, but it’s made with sundried peppers instead of fresh. The sundried peppers give the paste a grainy consistency with a more smoky flavor. The classic harissa is made of fresh peppers, and has a stronger texture, and is rigorously filtered before packing.
Varieties that we provide:
- Metallic can 400gr
- Metallic can 140gr
- Metallic can 2Kg
- Metallic can 5Kg
* Other packages are available on demand.
Did You Know?
- Since two years, there is a whole festival dedicated to Harissa. It takes place between October and November, in the region of Nabeul.
- In 2015, Tunisia exported Harissa to more than 27 countries, among them: Algeria, France, Germany, Italy, Canada...
- When consumed sensibly, Harissa contains many vitamins just like orange juice.
- During winter, Harissa can be used to cure colds.